Monday, June 29, 2009

Baby's 2nd Week

Our orange baby

The Baby's second week of life started off great! He and I ventured out somewhere each day. On Monday, we all went out to eat and then he and I took Sugie to cheerleading class. He was an angel, of course. The next day, he and I went to Target where he was the perfect little shopping buddy.

Things started to go wrong on Wednesday - the day of his 2 week checkup. My little guy has a few problems. First, he's only gained 2 oz since leaving the hospital. The doctor was a little concerned, so now we get to start going in regularly for weight checks.

The Baby's nasty umbilical cord fell off over the weekend. I think those things are disgusting, so I was glad it was gone. However, it started bleeding and looking nasty again. The doctor said that we just need to watch it for a granuloma, but that it looks ok.

The next problem was his jaundice. The doctor wanted to get Baby's blood tested to check his bilirubin level. So, we had to go to the hospital to get lab work done. We had to register the Baby at the hospital like he was a new patient. Some of the questions were funny that they had to ask of my 2 week old - marital status, allergies, place of employment, etc.

The blood test was AWFUL!! I wanted to take my baby from that place and run. They call it a "heel prick" test, but it should be a "heel slice" test b/c it was a pretty big cut on his foot. They didn't get enough blood from the first prick, so they had to do it over again. After 2 pricks, 4 lab techs, and 20 minutes, they finally got enough blood to run the test. But, they decided to get a little extra blood, just in case. The Baby screamed during this entire ordeal, which broke my heart. His bili levels were too high, so the doctor had us put the Baby on formula for 24 hours and ordered another blood for Friday. I cried when they told me this!! What a terrible Wednesday!

On Thursday, we were back at the doctor and pharmacy. More to come on this....

Friday's hospital trip was much better. I was scared b/c a new girl wanted to draw the Baby's blood. Luckily, a very skilled lab tech was helping her, so there was just one prick and about 5 minutes of drawing blood. His bili levels had dropped, so the Baby is just fine. Whew. Now we just need to get his weight problem under control.

No comments: