Our precious Sugie had her dreaded 5 year old check up earlier this week. Since she is one of the youngest in her class, she got to her all of her friend’s horror stories about their “Kindergarten shots.” She’s told me for several months that she’s not getting shots and will not go to her Kindergarten checkup. So, when I took her to the doctor she thought it was just a check on her strep throat. (This was her conclusion – I never told her this!) She passed her eye test with flying colors and did great, as usual, with the rest of the exam. When the doctor left the room, she looked at me with those big, beautiful, blue eyes and asked, “Mommy, do I have to get shots?” I wanted to tell her no and run out of that place as fast as I could. When she heard the news, she started sobbing. When the two nurses came in, she started crying much harder. She was cooperative and let us put her on the table, but she was really crying. Poor little Sugie had to get four shots – two in each leg! I’ve never heard her scream so loudly. It broke my heart into a million pieces. The doctor even came back in and held her for a few minutes. As we left, almost every nurse offered her some sort of trinket to take home.
We felt so badly for her, so we catered to her every need. I got her a milkshake and brought her back to work with me. Then, I took her shoe shopping (a favorite activity of hers) and let her convince me that she needed 3 new pairs of shoes. She complained that she couldn’t walk, so we had to carry her everywhere that night and the next morning. I know that the shots hurt, but what a DIVA!
1 day ago

No comments:
Post a Comment