Monday, September 15, 2008

Take A Hike, Ike!


Yesterday was not a fun day! It was very windy when we woke up on Sunday morning – thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Ike. The power flickered several times before we lost it for good around 9:30 am. Since I was in the middle of drying my hair, I decided that we should play outside to let the wind finish up the drying. The kids and I played some on the swingset, which is near the woods. I was worried about tree limbs falling on us, so I made them stay on the basketball court. We had fun outside playing in the 30-35 mph gusts. However, this probably wasn’t one of the best parenting decisions. Little did I know that trees were down everywhere throughout the city and there were a lot of power outages.

The hubby left to watch a football game, so it was up to me to think of creative activities to keep the children entertained all day. It’s amazing how many fun things require electricity! So, we built several interesting items with Tinker Toys, painted pumpkins, had a picnic in their clubhouse, got a visit from Mimi, and played outside A LOT (this time after the major winds had subsided).

While outside, I had the huge task of cleaning up the yard. We had so many leaves, limbs, sticks, and gumballs littering our yard from the wind storm. I gave each kid a bucket and told them to find some “treasures”. They loved finding the gumballs and colorful leaves, and I loved that they were really helping me out!! This was their favorite activity by far!!!

The children were exhausted by the time the sun went down and didn’t put up any fights at bedtime. Since the hubby was still MIA, I set up a row of candles in the dining room and tried to get some scrapbooking done. I’m very curious to check out my color schemes in natural light. Around 11 pm, our lighted world was restored!! What a good ending to a very yucky day!

No comments: